Effective Date: September 30, 2014
Thank you for visiting the PBS LearningMedia website, which is located at http://www.pbslearningmedia.org (the “Site”). This Site is provided by WGBH Educational Foundation (“WGBH”) and the Public Broadcasting Service (“PBS”) and provides educational resources for teachers and their classes, for use in educational settings such as schools or libraries, or for educational use by teachers and their classes from home.
Collection of Information
We may ask visitors to the Site to provide some or all of the following types of information when they register for certain services on the Site, access various content or features, submit community postings (e.g., under the comments tab of a resource page), or directly contact us with feedback or suggestions:
- - Contact information, such as name and e-mail address;
- - User name and password;
- - Date of birth;
- - Other demographic information, such as job information and zip code;
- - Information for a public profile, such as school affiliation;
- - Communications preferences;
- - Secret question and answer;
- - Search queries;
- - Photos, audio files, or videos;
- - Contact information about others when you provide information about others or refer a friend to a particular site or service (note: such information is used solely to facilitate the communications requested);
- - Information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features; and
- - Correspondence you send to us.
We also may collect certain information automatically when you visit the Site, including:
- - Your browser type and operating system;
- - Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- - Sites you visited before and after visiting the Site;
- - Web pages you view and links you click on within the Site;
- - Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law;
- - Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies;
- - Information about your interactions with video content, such as the type of content viewed, and information about your interactions with e-mail messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded; and
- - Standard server log information.
If you access third-party services through the Site, such as accessing Facebook, Google, or Twitter through the Site to share information about your experience on the Site with your connections on those services, we may collect information about you from those services. These third-party services may be able to collect information about you, including about your activity on the Site, and they may notify your connections on the third-party services that you are a Site user or about your use of the Site, in accordance with their own privacy policies.
If you choose to engage in public activities on the Site, you should be aware that any information you submit there can be viewed, collected, or used by other users of these areas, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. Storyboards may be viewed by others if they enter the precise URL for the Storyboard. You should use caution in disclosing personal information while participating in these areas. We are not responsible for the information you choose to submit in these forums and public areas.
Use of Information
We generally use the information that we collect about you to:
- - Fulfill your requests for services and information;
- - Enable you to participate in features such as assignments, Storyboards, comment boxes and forums;
- - Engage in internal, promotional, and fundraising activities, including by direct mail, e-mail, and other forms of communication;
- - To send you e-mail alerts from PBS LearningMedia (which includes e-mail from and about our affiliates). From time to time, we may provide you with information and offers about other educational products and services offered by us and our content producers. If you choose not to receive these messages in the future, you can follow the “unsubscribe” instructions located near the bottom of each e-mail. Please understand that if you choose to not receive promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, and communications with us.
- - Analyze the use of the Site and information about visitors to our Site to understand and improve our service offerings, such as determining which pages are most popular, which browsers are most used, how long users spend on the Site, and which websites they have come from;
- - Customize the content you see when you visit a Site, including to direct users to Site resources specific to a grade band and content area and to relevant state curriculum standards;
- - For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Disclosure of Information
We may share information that is collected from you in the following circumstances:
- - Authorized third-party service providers. In certain cases, we contract with other companies to provide services on our behalf. We may share your information with these companies that provide services to us, including companies that assist with business analytics, data processing, account management, and other services. These service providers may maintain customer databases with e-mail addresses of Site visitors who have provided them to us by registering at our Site or signing up for e-mail alerts. We (along with our service providers) will use these addresses to respond to the general purposes for which we collected the information, to provide services, and to operate the Site, including to respond to inquiries and for e-mail distribution, list processing and analysis, and promotions management. Our service providers have access to your information as necessary to provide certain services on our behalf. They are required to maintain the privacy of all such information in their possession or control, and can only use the information on our behalf for the purpose that we have contracted them, for example sending you a newsletter. They are not authorized to use your information for any other purpose. We will not share your e-mail address with any other unaffiliated organization unless otherwise described below.
- - PBS Member Stations. We have partnered with certain PBS member stations to offer localized versions of the Site. In such cases, we may share information we collect about you with the PBS member station whose localized version of the Site you visited. You can tell when you are visiting a localized version of the Site because the top banner on the Site will reflect the localization. The member station may use this information to provide you with information about its services that might interest you.
- - Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial business transaction, such as the sale of the Site, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- - With your consent. We otherwise may share your information with your consent.
We also may share aggregated or anonymized information with third parties, including to help us develop content and services that we hope you will find of interest or to help these third parties develop their own products and service offerings. This sharing of anonymized or aggregated information will not include information that could be used to individually identify you.
Protection of Information
We are committed to protecting your information. We have adopted commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect your information from loss, misuse, and alteration. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Site but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
We are dedicated to handling any information obtained from children with care and respect.
- - Collection. Students under the age of 13 may not provide their personal information or participate in activities involving the sharing of personal information without the consent of an educator, or as otherwise permitted by law. For example, a student may provide his or her name, e-mail address, responses to essay questions, or Storyboard designs in connection with an assignment in the school context. Students also may provide videos, audio files, or photographs in connection with an assignment. As described above in the section on Collection of Information, we also may automatically collect certain information from children when they visit our Site.
- - Use and disclosure. Consistent with an educator’s consent or applicable law, we may use and disclose children’s personal information for the purposes and in the manners described above in the sections on Use of Information and Disclosure of Information.
- - Access. State departments of education, school districts, homeschoolers, and school teachers or administrators may request to review the personal information of their students who are under the age of 13, to have this information deleted, or to refuse to permit further collection or use of their students’ personal information by e-mailing us at LearningMediaContact@pbs.org.
If you have any questions about how we handle children’s personally identifiable information, please contact us at LearningMediaContact@pbs.org. In addition, our contact information is provided below under Contact Us.
We also may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons and similar technologies, to track your use of the Site. Web beacons (sometimes called transparent GIFs, clear GIFs, or web bugs) are small strings of code that provide a way for us to deliver a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an e-mail. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on your computer such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, and a description of the page where the web beacon is placed. We use these technologies to improve your experience on the Site, including to provide you with content customized to your interests and to understand whether users read e-mail messages and click on links contained within those messages so that we can deliver relevant content and offers.
External Links and Third-Party Content
WGBH Educational Foundation
One Guest Street, Boston, MA 02135
Public Broadcasting Service
2100 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202
Tel: (866) 864-0828